VESTAL, N.Y. — Binghamton University is set for a “precautionary pause” on all in-person classes and activities following an increase in COVID-19 cases both in Broome County and on campus.
The two-week pause begins on Thursday, SUNY said in a Wednesday news release.
SUNY Chancellor Jim Malatras and Binghamton University President Harvey Stenger announced their decision Wednesday.
(Sponsored)

Avoiding the Most Common Overtime Classification Mistakes
Are you sure your organization is prepared for an audit of your payroll practices? In this FREE one hour webinar to be held at noon on November 14, 2023, you

Maximizing Tax Benefits for Energy-Efficient Buildings
The Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) of 2022 significantly enhanced the Section 179D deduction, making it even more valuable for businesses investing in energy-efficient commercial building property (EECBP) and energy-efficient commercial
As of today, Binghamton University has 89 active virus cases and has not yet met the 100-case mark that triggers an automatic transition to remote learning, as the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) has outlined.
Still, Malatras and Stenger agreed to act now “out of an abundance of caution and after intense scrutiny of case data and daily trends available to everyone through SUNY’s COVID-19 case tracker.”
Under the NYSDOH guidance, residential facilities will remain open and students will be directed to stay on campus for a temporary two-week shift to remote learning to prevent further spread of the virus.
“After closely examining the spike in cases in Broome County and the trajectory of the virus on campus, President Stenger and I believe a precautionary pause on all in-person learning and activities is the best course of action for containing COVID and protecting the community,” Malatras said. “With nearly 12,000 campus-administered tests completed so far, Binghamton will ramp up its already-robust testing regimen while continuing to enforce proven safety measures that slow the spread of the virus. I believe the Binghamton University community will rise to this pivotal moment, stay vigilant, protect one another, and do what needs to be done to bat back this virus so that students can return to in-person learning in two weeks. I also want to thank [Broome] County Executive [Jason] Garner for this support to manage the situation.”
Binghamton University will also increase enforcement of “evidence-based” COVID-19 safety guidelines — such as the guidance against large gatherings. Students found to have violated those protocols will be subject to “strict penalties” under Malatras’ new safety standard, which took effect Oct. 1. Those in violation face “immediate” academic and housing suspension and possible dismissal, loss of athletic eligibility, and ineligibility for admission at every other SUNY college.
Student groups in violation may be banned from campus “permanently.”
Binghamton University will also boost academic-support services to ease the shift to temporary remote learning. If cases stabilize and students continue complying with safety measures, the university will resume in-person learning in two weeks.